May 2, 2012

"A good painting to me has always been like a friend. It keeps me company, comforts and inspires. "
Hedy Lamarr

This quote represents why I chose to resurrect my DMV Art blog. I entered the 2012 Blogathon to force myself to not only work on my writing craft, but also to find comfort in the friend of art.

"Advertising is the greatest art form of the 20th century."
Marshall McLuhan

I see art everywhere. It haunts me in my office from the graphic designing from our Marketing Department. It seduces me in the clean lines of our modern chairs in our quite conference rooms. It peeks out at me in the tear sheets of corporate collateral. It shouts at me like the revolutionary on the street, yet I seem to keep walking past it, racing to continue to punch the time clock and meet superficial deadlines.


I have admitted the hardest truth to myself. I have allowed myself to be spoonfed the corporate definition of art. The kind that is spit out by a Lexmark printer. It glistens and gleams with color and line definition. But it lacks the capacity to overload my senses like the smell of vinyl or the feel of a tarlatan cloth in my hand after an intense day of experimentation.

So here I am, baring my soul through keystrokes of a laptop in a faceless cube at the end of a long row of emptiness. I am digging in. I no longer want my art fix from a steel corporate spoon. Thank you for choosing to join me on this reverse rabbit hole adventure. I have been at the bottom looking up. Now I am climbing to the top to find my friend. Post by post. Interview by interview. And most importantly for all writers who write in their heads and selfishly don't share, keystroke by keystroke
   
Disclaimer: I pulled these quotes off of a quick Google Search so if the quote or author isn't accurate, you know my intentions were good.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you and welcome to the Blogathon! Looking forward to hearing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art is where we find and and what we define it to be. Good for you for looking beyond the pop culture to a deeper level. Visiting from the blogathon.

    ReplyDelete